Columbia Crew Developing Well

The Columbia crew has undergone only one change since last Monday, and it seems probable that the present order will be maintained for the Harvard-Columbia crew race next Saturday. The single change mentioned is the replacing of Starbuck by Jordan at 2. Coach Rice seems to be fairly well satisfied with the form shown by the crew. The men have gained a mastery over his stroke and have eradicated their tendency to fall back into the old style of work.

The crews are now rowing on an average of six miles a day and have had several short races. In these races, which have generally consisted of sprints on the return journey, the second boat has been able to hold its own and sometimes even beat the first. The fact that the second crew is so well developed is a notable feature of the rowing at Columbia this year. Most of the heavier men on the squad are now in the second, and the average weight of the men on the first crew is 170 pounds.

The order of the Columbia crew at present--Stroke, Cerussi; 7, Boyle; 6, J. Mackenzie; 5, Von Saltza; 4, G. Mackenzie; 3, Spalding; 2, Jordan; bow, Snevily.