DISTURBANCES IN LECTURES

The disturbances which have characterized the lectures in one of the large Sophomore courses during the last few weeks recall to some of us our preparatory school days, when any childish amusement was more acceptable than serious thoughts and study. Most of us, however, have now passed that stage in our development where we must stamp our feet and explode torpedoes to show our approval of or indifference to what the lecturer says. It is very safe to say that the majority of students in these courses where disturbances occur with systematic regularity do disapprove the method of expression at least. Without the least pretence of being in a position to preach against the faults of some childish students, we do feel that the majority should rule and not sit indifferently or with forced smiles while the same few, from self-appointed authority, make jokes of lectures and nuisances of themselves. It is a College tradition not to bear witness against a fellow-student; but there is an equally well-established tradition that College men can protect their rights when occasion arises.