Hard Practice for Cornell Crew

Numerous changes have been made in all the rowing combinations of the Cornell crews this week except the first university eight, which is rowing in the same make-up as two weeks ago. F.W. Sanger '09, who rowed on last year's freshman crew and who has been a prominent candidate for the university boat, is at present in the infirmary. It is not yet known whether or not he will be able to row again this season, but if he is unable to return his loss will be severely felt.

The crews are now rowing an average of nine miles a day for the university combinations and five miles for the freshmen. The weather conditions during the past few days have been excellent and the best practice of the year has been indulged in. Three university and three freshman eights are now rowing daily beside two four-oared combinations.

Of the eight men in the first boat, six have rowed in university boats before, while Goodier, who is rowing at number six was stroke of the four-oar last year, and Brinton at number 5 has had experience on his freshman crew and has rowed steadily since then. A severe loss to the squad was felt in the disqualification of Forbes, who rowed in the four-oar last season. Forbes was looked upon as an excellent candidate for the first boat but was declared inelligible by the university faculty, as the class with which he entered has graduated. He has not yet represented the university for four years in any athletics, but the new ruling of the faculty concerning men who remain in the university after their classes have graduated, has just been enforced.