HARD CREW PRACTICE

All Crews Given Tryouts-University Crew Went Over Four-Mile Course.

HARVARD CREW QUARTERS, RED TOP, CT., June 11, 1907-Today the University crew had the hardest work of the season. This morning the crew went down over the first half-mile of the course at thirty strokes to the minute, and then continued downstream another mile and a half and back at easy stretches. The river was rough and much water was shipped. In the afternoon the men rowed downstream to the railroad bridge in short stretches and returned up the four-mile course without a stop. No time was taken as the stroke was kept slow all the way. The boat spaced well between strokes and followed the stroke regularly. At the Navy Yard the Freshmen started about a boat length ahead, kept well with the University crew for two miles, and ended a length in the rear. The Freshmen boat travelled well and both crews finished in good condition.

Wyman, No. 5 on the Freshman eight, was sent to the Memorial Hospital this evening with the mumps. This is a severe loss, as he was a valuable man. In the morning he was replaced by Hadden, and in the afternoon by Macleod, the latter appearing the better. Buxton was back at No. 4. In the morning the Freshmen rowed easily downstream for two miles and back.

The University four, after rowing about two miles in the morning, had a half-mile race with the 1910 crew, beating the latter by a quarter of a length. The substitutes were given light work.

The order of the University eight and four-oared crews was the same as yesterday, but the Freshman crews rowed as follows:

Freshman eight-Stroke, Bacon; 7, Marvin; 6, Waid; 5, Macleod, Hadden; 4, Buxton; 3, Coit; 2, Sargent; bow, Morgan; cox., Adams.

Freshman four-oar-Stroke, Maxwell; 3, Hadden, Macleod; 2, Loring; bow, Forster; cox., Adams, Fahnestock.