OPPOSITION TO SHALER MEMORIAL

We understand that the idea of a memorial to Dean Shaler in the Union has met with opposition from the authorities of the Union. The chief ground of objection seems to be that a precedent would be started which would in time turn the Union into a species of mausoleum, and would detract from the home-like aspect of its interior. We feel that such fears are groundless. Dean Shaler's position in the University was so unique, that there will be few men whose claim for a memorial in the Union can be based upon the precedent of a bas-relief or bust of Dean Shaler. Nor do we feel that a few such memorials, if suitably chosen and located, will in any way injure the livable atmosphere of the Union. Memorial Hall, for example, is a monument to those who fought and died in the Civil War. Yet this fact apparently does not act as a constraint upon those who go there. We believe that the Union is the one place where a memorial to Dean Shaler will be most effective in accomplishing its purpose, and therefore urge that the proposition be not rejected without the most careful consideration.