FOUR-OAR STILL UNDECIDED

Burchard Replaced Amberg.--Buxton in Freshman Crew.--Morgan Sent Home.

HARVARD CREW QUARTERS, RED TOP, CT., June 18, 1907.--The most important event in the crew practice here today was another change in the University four-oar, Burchard being substituted for Amberg at 3 in the afternoon work. In the morning the four-oar rowed a trial upstream over the two-mile course, but the time was deplorably slow. The crew seemed to pull well together, but they were unable to travel with satisfactory speed. The Freshman four raced them over the last mile, and won by six lengths. After the change in the afternoon, the crew went only a short distance, but the boat went better and defeated the Freshman four in a short brush.

The work of the eights was rather light. In the morning the crews went about three miles, accompanied by Coach Wray in a single scull. In the afternoon, the work showed a decided improvement. The men took hold of the water with a vigor which has not before been seen, and sent their shell along at a good rate, even at the low stroke of 28 and 30. The Freshman crew also went well. Buxton is back again at 4, as his threatened attack of mumps did not develop. Wyman was out again in a pair-oar, and in a scrub four in the afternoon, with A. G. Gill '06, J. F. Perkins '99, and Vogel. This four was defeated by the Yale substitutes four-oar in a short brush, by a narrow margin.

C. Morgan, Jr., '08 was sent to Boston this afternoon to receive medical treatment for his recent injury. He will be unable to row again this season.