English Built Shell Tested

A successful series of trials was made during the summer with the new English built shell, recently presented to the University by W. C. Baylies '84. The trials were held on the Charles river, at Sherborn, the last of August, under the direction of Captain Richardson '08 and other competent judges. No regular crew was tried out, but the demonstrations were given by a scrub crew called together for that purpose.

The shell, which is of a different model from any heretofore used by the University crews, was built by Sims, the noted English boat-builder, at Putney, England. Its dimensions are about 63 feet in length, beam, amidships, 23 1-4 inches, depth 9 1-2 inches, amidships, 6 1-2 inches forward and 5 1-2 inches aft. The main difference in the appearance of the English shell from those built in America is in the arrangement of the thwarts which are placed in two distinct alternating rows. The advantage claimed by this arrangement of the seats is that greater and longer inboard leverage can thus be obtained and a firmer grip made upon the water by the consequent shortening of the outriggers.