ENGLISH TRACK MEET

Negotiations for Games between Harvard-Yale and Oxford-Cambridge.

Negotiations have been carried on during the past month for a resumption of the international intercollegiate track meets between Oxford and Cambridge, and Harvard and Yale. The meet, if held, will take place in the Olympic stadium, which is now being built outside London, about August 1.

While abroad last summer G. Emerson '08, manager of the University track team, conferred with representatives of Oxford and Cambridge, and discussed the situation with a view to effecting a resumption of the contests. On his return to America, he conferred with the Yale track management, who are also anxious to arrange the meet.

If the arrangements are satisfactorily completed, it will only be necessary to secure the financial support of the graduates of Harvard and Yale to make the meet a certainty. The fact that the men who will compete in the Olympic games from America will go at the expense of the Olympic committee, will materially lessen the expense of sending a dual team abroad, as representatives of Harvard and Yale will undoubtedly be chosen to form part of the American team. A portion of the funds, moreover, which were collected for the last international contest are still unused, and this fact will be a potent influence in completing the arrangements.

The first international intercollegiate meet was held in 1898, and was won by Oxford and Cambridge, the Englishmen winning five of the nine events. The second contest was won by Harvard and Yale in 1901 by the score of six events to three. During the next two years there was no contest, but in 1904 the four universities again met, Harvard and Yale again winning by the same score.