DEPARTURE OF PROF. CLEMEN

For West and South.--Word of Appreciation by President Eliot.

Professor Paul Clemen, Visiting Professor from the University of Bonn, who has given several half-courses at the University this year, will leave Cambridge today in order to make a lecture tour through the principal cities of the South and Middle West. Professor Clemen will address the students of Johns Hopkins, Yale, Bryn Mawr, Cornell and Brown. He will sail for Germany early in March.

During the half-year Professor Clemen has conducted German Art 1, in the development of French and German art from the early Middle Ages to the end of the eighteenth century; German Art 2, a seminary course on mediaeval German sculpture, with demonstrations in the Germanic Museum; and German Art 3, a history of German Art in the nineteenth century.

In addition to his regular work, he conducted a course of five lectures in German on "The Life and Works of Michelangelo." These lectures were given in the New Lecture Hall, and were attended by a large number of students and officers of the University. He also lectured at Wellesley and at Princeton, and gave a talk on "Modern German Art" before the Bostoner Deutsche Gesellschaft, of which he is an honorary member.

During his stay at the University, he has taken great interest in the Germanic Museum, and has helped its development in many ways. It was through his efforts that the Museum secured the reproduction of the smaller portal of the Church of Our Lady at Treves, the cast having been first exhibited in an exposition organized by Professor Clemen at Dusseldorf in 1902.

Professor Clemen gave his last lecture Saturday. In a few words of farewell, he expressed his gratitude to President Eliot, the Faculty, the students of the University, and the American public. At the conclusion of the lecture, President Eliot said:

"I wish to thank Professor Clemen in the name of the University and its students for two things: first, for the manner in which he has illustrated a great subject; and second, for the striking example he has given us of the 'professional style.' I mean the earnestness and elegance of his teaching. This is one of the great lessons we have learned from the visiting professors from Germany--the style as well as the substance of what they had to say.

"But there is something else for which we are indebted to Professor Clemen. It is for setting before us the worth of art and the artistic spirit in national culture. There is no lesson which the American people need more than this. He has been teaching, too, that great art meets the needs of leading people, their desires, hopes and aspirations. This is a lesson, too, which our whole nation needs.

"We wish him a happy return home. We were very glad when he came. We are sorry that he has to go away, but we shall hope be will come again."