COLUMBIA WINS IN CHESS

Yale Second.--University Team in Last Place with 3 1-2 Matches Won.

Columbia easily won the sixteenth annual intercollegiate chess tournament from Harvard, Yale, and Princeton with a score of 9 1-2 games out of a possible 12. Yale won second place with 6 1-2 games, and Princeton was third with 4 1-2 games. The University team scored only 3 1-2 victories. Of the tournaments since 1892, Harvard has won 9, Columbia 6, and Yale 1.

H. Blumberg G. S., of Columbia, and G. Burgess '11, of Yale, were tied for the highest individual score with three victories and no defeats. W. W. Parshley '09 made the highest score for the University with two victories and one defeat.

The tournament was held on December 21, 23, and 24 at the West Side Republican Club, New York. In the first day's play Columbia took the lead by winning three out of four games with Yale. Princeton took second place from Harvard by two victories, a draw, and one defeat.

On the second day Columbia increased its lead to four games, by defeating Princeton three to one. Yale defeated the University team 2 1-2 to 1 1-2 and thus tied with Princeton for second place, each with 3 1-2 games to their credit.

Columbia lost only half a game on the final day of the tournament, making a total score of 9 1-2 games won. Yale won three games from Princeton, and won second place in the tournament.

The complete score of the tournament was as follows: COLUMBIA.   Won  Lost Wolff,  2 1-2  1-2 Blumberg,  3  0 Ramsdell,  2  1 Pfeiffer,  0  1 Comstock,  2  0 Totals,  9 1-2  2 1-2 YALE.   Won  Lost Thurston,  1-2  2 1-2 Jefferson,  2  1 E. B. Burgess,  1  2 G. Burgess,  3  0 Totals,  6 1-2  5 1-2 PRINCETON.   Won  Lost Williams,  1 1-2  1 1-2 Stephens,  1  2 Alexander,  1  2 Tremann,  1  2 Totals,  4 1-2  7 1-2 HARVARD.   Won  Lost Johnson,  1 1-2  1 1-2 Hitt,  0  3 Parshley,  2  1 Brown,  0  3 Totals,  3 1-2  8 1-2

The annual business meeting was held at the Yale Club on December 23. The members of the Alumni Chess Committee present were W. Catchings '01, J. L. Lockwood, Jr., of Yale, and H. A. Keeler, of Columbia. A motion to increase the limit of play from 15 to 20 moves an hour was voted down 9 to 6. The following were appointed members of the International Cable Match Committee, which will have charge of the contest for the Rice trophy, now in possession of Oxford and Cambridge: E. R. Perry '03, A. S. Jamison, of Yale, J. B. Hunt, of Princeton, and L. J. Wolff, of Columbia