SECONDARY WINTER ATHLETICS.

The host of arguments for the broadening and strengthening of secondary athletics often consider merely the spring and fall sports. The advantages of more general participation during these seasons are so obvious that the discussion is now aimed almost entirely toward discovering the best means of promoting these scrub contests. The winter sports, however, seem to have been somewhat neglected.

This is the season of the year when the largest number of men indulge in no form of exercise. The limited facilities of the Gymnasium do not attract except as a necessary means of training for some sport. Scrub hockey and basketball are not very generally supported, and winter track work is too often regarded solely as a preparation for the coming season. Although the various managers have done much in the past and can do still more to encourage secondary athletics in their respective branches by organizing and conducting series of games, the stimulus must come from the interest of the undergraduate body.

The dormitory has in several cases proved a satisfactory unit for scrub contests. Its helpfulness would be much greater if an athletic representative or committee were elected by the residents of each dormitory to combine with representatives of other buildings in organizing teams and arranging schedules in the various sports which are suited to inter-dormitory competition. Some such arrangement would do away with the present haphazard methods, and would increase materially the number of participants.