NEW FOOTBALL COMMITTEE

From various opinions on the football season the usual compromise has resulted. The present captain has been allowed the sanction of the Athletic Committee in appointing a committee to select a head coach for next year and to act as an advisory board during the season. No permanency is guaranteed to any system except such as will be the natural result of a satisfactory season.

We confess that our ideal is a committee which should have some authority for self-perpetuation. Until we secure one man who will direct the football policy indefinitely we shall be in the position of the country of fortnightly revolutions which is assailed by an established power. The committee with possibilities of permanence seems, however, to approximate the one man idea more nearly than an annual appointment by the captain.

We can appreciate the objections to the establishment of a permanent policy. Any Athletic Committee elected for one year is naturally unwilling to bind the committee of another year or a future football captain. Therein lies the fundamental fault of our athletics from a competitive standpoint. Those who select a coach who is defeated in his first year night support him again, but their power is gone as well as his. Another captain holds the floor, and another committee passes upon his recommendations. We must, therefore, look to this committee to conduct itself in such a manner that its members will be the natural leaders next year. Since no official permanency can be obtained, we must depend upon the unity which a united committee and a united coaching staff can give.