VEREIN WELCOME EXTENDED

Reception Tendered Professor Kuehnemann.--President Eliot Spoke.

Under the auspices of the Deutscher Verein, an enthusiastic and well-attended reception was held last evening in the Union in honor of Professor Eugen Kuehnemann, visiting professor from the University of Breslau. Addresses were made by President Eliot, Professor Walz, Professor Peabody, Professor Munsterberg, Professor Kuehnemann, and H. von Kaltenborn '09, who were introduced by E. Hanfstaengl '09, president of the Deutscher Verein.

President Eliot was the first speaker of the evening. Never has a year begun since the inauguration of the plan of exchange professors under such favorable auspices as has this one. Professor Kuehnemann is singularly welcome because we are acquainted with him and with his work. The visiting professor is as one of the Faculty, because his courses count for a degree. So it was with Professor Davis in Berlin when he went over as exchange professor.

Professor Walz contrasted conditions in this country with those in Germany and asked what had induced Professor Kuehnemann to come over. It was a longing to further his work. Harvard needed a man in touch with both past and present--such a man is Professor Kuehnemann. Professor Walz then extended to him the greeting of the Faculty.

After H. von Kaltenborn '09 had spoken for the undergraduates, Professor Peabody gave some reminiscences.

Professor Munsterberg described the service performed by a man with ideas and a personality like that of the visiting professor. It means an increased interest in the study of German ideas and a chance to hear what the fine German tongue is like.

Professor Kuehnemann was the last speaker. He had always felt it his duty, he said, to impress the power and personality of President Eliot and of the University on every one. It had been hard to decide to come over here for the second time and to leave Germany; but his sense of duty called him. He wished to spread the knowledge of what Germany had done in literature and what her great figure stood for among the young men of this country. To them, as the new generation, is his mission.