NEW MEDICAL SCHOOL DEAN

Overseers Confirmed Dr. Christian as Successor to Dr. Richardson.

The Board of Overseers at their meeting yesterday morning voted to confirm the election of Dr. H. A. Christian A.M. '03, as successor to W. L. Richardson M.D., who resigned last year the deanship of the Harvard Medical School, after more than a year's deliberation. Dr. Christian was elected by the President and Fellows at their meeting on October 12, and as there were remarkable opportunities offered by the enlarged endowment and splendid equipment of the school, the choice was awaited with an unusual amount of interest. They realized that a man was needed who not only would bring to his work administrative ability of a high order, but who had also received a thorough training in modern medicine. In Dr. Christian, the new dean, the school has obtained the services of a trained biologist, pathologist and clinician, and a man who has a highly acceptable record in the City, Massachusetts General, and Carney hospitals. The new dean is a man unusually young, not only for the position to which he has just been chosen, but also for his past record as an investigator and administrative officer.

He was born in Lynchburg, Va., on February 17, 1876. He received his college education at Randolph-Macon College, Va., where he had the degrees of A.B. and A.M. conferred upon him in 1895. He then studied medicine at Johns Hopkins University, and was graduated from there in 1900. After pursuing graduate studies at the Harvard Medical School for three years, he received the degree of master of arts for pathological studies carried on largely at the Boston City Hospital.