PHILANTHROPIC INTERESTS.

The pamphlet of the Social Service Committee of Phillips Brooks House has recently come to our attention with its complete announcement of all the organizations and branches of philanthropic work in which the committee is concerned and it presents in a few words just what opportunities there are for men interested in the various branches of social work and what the work actually consists of. It is the intention of the committee to send a copy of this pamphlet to every man who signed the unofficial card on registering, expressing a willingness to do social service work if opportunity were presented. This, then, is in the nature of a presentation of any number of opportunities and directions for using them. The pamphlet is not intended solely for those who signed the cards, however, and extra copies may be had at Phillips Brooks House.

It is some years since this method was taken of presenting philanthropic work to undergraduates and it should aid materially this year. A wrong idea is not uncommonly held as to the function of the committee in charge. The committee's purpose is not to do the work itself--that would be easy and unprogressive--but to interest as many men as possible in the problem of helping along their less fortunate brothers and to develop an enthusiasm for these beneficial and organized movements which are working for the betterment of society.