CAUTION FOR PARADERS.

No presidential campaign seems to be complete in this vicinity without an intercollegiate parade. It is hardly to be supposed that all these men who propose to parade over a five-mile circuit or more do so out of sheer political enthusiasm; but a torchlight procession with the bands playing and a general feeling of excitement in the air is quite an attraction in itself, regardless of what the cause may be for which the parade is striving to do its share. This attraction is great enough in our community to induce some 800 men to put aside their books for a part of the evening and parade for the sake of their political party and their own edification.

Parades of such proportions as the one tonight present certain dangers as well as desirable features. There will be in the neighborhood of 2000 men in line, and a long circuit has been mapped out to march over. No one claimed for a minute that the good done the Republican party by the parade four years ago was one-tenth as great as the harm suffered by Harvard College. Even the remote possibility of the recurrence of such an episode in which college men disgraced themselves in the public eye has prompted the Student Council to supervise the arrangements made by the local political committee to insure that all necessary precautions have been taken to have the parade proceed in an orderly manner. On another page are published certain recommendations to the men who are to march in the line. The recommendations all suggest essentially one thing, that every man has the same responsibility as the various officials in preserving order and dignity to the end that the parade, in so far as he can make it, will do credit to the University. If these suggestions are carried out all will go well with the parade.