MT. AUBURN STREET VICTORS

Crew Proved Superior in Interdormitory Race.--Won Filley Cup.

Mount Auburn Street won the interdormitory crews championship yesterday in a close and well-contested race, in which the result was in doubt until the very last. By this victory Mount Auburn Street obtains possession of the Filley Cup, held for the past two years by Claverly.

The race was rowed at four o'clock in the Basin, and contrary to previous announcements, was rowed down-stream, owing to the heavy wind. The course was one and one-half miles in length, from Longwood Bridge to the Union Boathouse. The strong wind kicked up a heavy chop, making the rowing poorer than might have been the case under better conditions. All the boats shipped considerable water.

The crews got a drifting start; Claverly and Mount Auburn Street having an advantage of about one-half a length. Beck-Hampden-Fairfax rowed in good form and soon overtook both the Claverly and Mount Auburn Street crews, which were rowing a slower and more powerful stroke. About half-way the order was as follows: 1, Beck-Hampden-Fairfax; 2, Mount Auburn Street; 3, Claverly; 4, Thayer; 5, Randolph.

Thayer increased her stroke and passed Claverly in good form. The crews kept this formation until just before the finish, when Mount Auburn Street spurted and passed Beck-Hampden-Fairfax, which was now growing weaker, the fast stroke at the beginning injuring its chances. Randolph rowed in rather poorer form than had been expected, finishing last, five lengths behind Claverly.

The Mount Auburn Street crew was made up as follows:

Stroke, F. R. Maxwell, Jr., '10; 7, M. H. Richardson, Jr., '09; 6, F. Newton '12; 5, E. W. Ellis '11; 4, R. G. Henderson '10; 3, E. B. Robins '10; 2, L. W. Hill '10; bow, J. C. Hurd '10; cox., H. P. Faxon '12.