Gifts and Bequests to University

The University has received an anonymous gift of $1,000 to be added to the Julius Dexter Scholarship. The fund, thus increased, amounts to $6,336.03. The income is "devoted to aiding worthy and needy undergraduates in the academical department of Harvard University--those from Cincinnati in particular and from Ohio in general to be preferred over others."

The University has also received an anonymous gift of $2.500 for the investigation of cancer, to be used under the direction of the Caroline Brewer Croft Fund Cancer Commission.

A gift of $200 has been received from the Harvard Club of Hawaii, with the offer of an annual gift of the same amount, to support a scholarship to be called "The Scholarship of the Harvard Club of Hawaii." The stipend is to be paid each year to a deserving student in any department of Harvard University, nominated by the Harvard Club of Hawaii, subject to the approval of the Committee on Scholarships and Other Aids for Undergraduates. The scholarship is to be regarded as a loan, repayable after a term of years.

The University is to receive from the estate of the late Francis Porter Fisher, A.B. 1848, a bequest of $5,000 "to endow a scholarship to be named 'the George Fisher and Elizabeth Huntington Fisher Scholarship,' the interest of which shall go to help worthy and needy students of said College, preference being given to any collateral heirs of this testator, in such manner as the College trustees may prescribe, it being made to appear that this endowment is a memorial to both my father and my mother, . . . and that it is the joint gift of myself and my twin brother, Frederick Pitkin Fisher, both of the Class of 1848."

The University has also received a gift of $10,000 from Mr. and Mrs. Edward Walter Clark, of Philadelphia, for the support of two scholarships, having an income of $250 each, to be called the "George Newhall Clark Scholarships," in memory of their son, George Newhall Clark, of the Class of 1908. In accordance with the desire of the founders, these scholarships are to be assigned to Freshmen who stand in need of financial and friendly aid, and who are deemed worthy to receive it. In the assignment, consideration is to be given, first to the student's manliness, truthfulness, courage, honesty, kindliness, loyalty, high purpose and devotion to duty; second, to his scholarly attainments, which must be such as to render a college course of real value to him; and third, to his fondness for and success in clean, manly, out-of-door sports, particularly those that call for unselfish endeavor for the honor of his side. Each scholarship is to be held throughout the recipient's college course.