SOPHOMORES LOST TO 1912

Score, 10 to 0.--Straight Football Used.--1912 vs. 1909 Tomorrow.

The second game of the interclass football series, played yesterday on Soldiers Field between the Sophomores and Freshmen, was won by the Freshmen by the score of 10 to 0. The winners will play the Seniors tomorrow for the prizes, and the Seniors and the Sophomores will meet next Monday to contest the upperclass championship and class numerals.

The two touchdowns were made in the first half, when the Freshman team was composed of the same men who played against Yale, with the exception of three men. The Sophomores played on the defensive almost entirely, being able to gain, only during the last part of the game. Pierce, for the Freshmen, played the best game, scoring the two touchdowns, and being able to gain consistently when called upon. Johnson and Park excelled for the Sophomores.

The Freshmen received the kick-off and by straight rushes placed the ball on the Sophomores' 5-yard line. The Sophomores got the ball on downs, but soon lost it by a fumble, and the Freshmen recovered it on their 30-yard line. A successful forward pass and several line plunges soon resulted and Pierce was pushed over for a touchdown. Smith failed to kick the goal. The Freshmen received the ball on the next kick-off and after several line plunges and a 30-yard run by Campbell, Pierce made the second touchdown. Smith was unable to kick the goal, and after two more plays the half ended.

The Freshmen's line-up was changed in the second half and the Sophomores were able to gain more consistently, but could not score. The ball changed hands frequently, due to fumbles. In the last few minutes of play, the Freshmen blocked a kick, and Tobey ran 30 yards but was stopped by Dick on the three-yard line. Time was then called.

The summary: 1911.  1912. Bloom, King, l.e.  r.e., Smith, Houston Sawyer, l.t.  r.t., Gaddis, Higginson Hann, Strong, l.g.  r.g., Strong, Stowe Cotting, c.  c., Amory, Huntington Park, r.g.  l.g., Knapp, Douglass Webber, r.t.  l.t., Dewey Ellis, Lewis, r.e.  l.e., Paine, Clifford Johnson, q.b.  q.b., Wigglesworth Dick, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Pierce, Kenney Floyd, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Campbell, Tobey Foster, Burnham, f.b.  f.b., Morrison

Score--1912, 10; 1911. 0. Touchdowns--Pierce, 2. Umpire--C. W. Short Jr., 1G. Referee--W. Peirce '08. Field judge--H. R. Shurtleff 2G. Linesmen--L. C. Goodhue '11. E. S. Winston '12. Time--20 and 15-minute halves.