A GREAT VICTORY.

Nothing could have been more satisfying than Saturday's game. Harvard men all over the country have been awaiting this victory for a good while and now it is theirs to enjoy. It was a clean-cut, hard-earned victory, one in which an evenly balanced Harvard team of great power and resourcefulness outwitted and outgeneralled a Yale team which was well up to the average, but which met a team even cleverer and more determined than themselves when they tried to pull another game out of the fire in the second half. It was a source of the keenest delight to the Harvard stands to see men substituted from time to time, one man here to score the field goal, another there to bolster up the defence, and still another to meet Yale at their own punting game and drive them back from the goal line. This is a feature of tactical football which has been conspicuously lacking in recent years.

The University has been given this season an exhibition of what a real coaching staff consists of. Ever since the middle of September those men of experience and judgment have planned and labored to bring order and system into the work of preparation, all of which has been guided by the unerring judgment and skill of Mr. Haughton. The season was carried through exactly as he had planned it way back last summer. Nothing has been left untouched in developing the inexperienced material and his handling of the entire situation from the minutest detail up has been masterful.

As for the members of the team, we might talk on and on for columns. They have worked hard and their labors have been rewarded. They have believed firmly in their own ability to keep ahead of the other team and their confidence has been of the sort that breeds success. Under the able direction of an acting captain who fulfilled his position splendidly they fought hard and cleanly, they were never caught unprepared, and each man responded with his supreme effort when called upon to do his part. Harvard is proud of every man of them.

We cannot leave this subject without adding one word of the keenest regret. To have given three years of splendid service to Harvard with a fourth well under way as a captain in every sense of the word and then to be deprived of the very thing most desired is a bitter disappointment. No man has deserved more than Captain Burr the pleasure and thrill of leading a team to victory. His has been the spirit of that team from the very first game to the last. It was wise, however, not to let him play as his shoulder was in such condition that he ran great risks of being permanently injured. We admire his pluck and his skill and are thankful for what he has done for Harvard football.