Battery A Defeated Cadets, 11 to 0

Battery A defeated the First Corps of Cadets in their annual game in the Stadium yesterday morning, by the score of 11 to 0. Both touchdowns were made during the first half, the first by line plunging, and the other by the recovery of a punt that crossed the goal line. The Battery team excelled its opponents in line plunging and in end runs, and showed a superior knowledge of the new football, using the forward pass and onside kick to advantage. Inches at tackle and Nesmith at right halfback played the best game for the Battery; Barney at centre and Mackay at left half-back played well on the Cadet team, while both ends followed the ball perfectly.

In the first half, the Battery team worked the ball down to the goal line by line rushes, aided by a long forward pass to left end. There the Cadets held for downs and punted to the 25-yard line, where the Battery team immediately worked another forward pass to the 7-yard line. Nesmith scored on the next play, and a difficult goal was kicked Towards the end of the half the Battery gained possession of the ball in the middle of the field. A well-executed on-side kick made 25 yards, and on the next play Crocker punted over the goal line, where a Battery man fell on the ball. The try at goal failed.

During the second half both teams punted frequently. Though the Battery team blocked a kick on the Cadets' 15-yard line they were unable to score. In the last few minutes of play Mackay ran a punt back 15 yards. The team then gained an additional 15 yards because of holding in the Battery line, putting the ball on the 30-yard line, where it was lost on downs.

The teams lined up as follows: BATTERY A.  CADETS. Rodgers, Drinkwater, l.e.  r.e., Page Richardson, Gill, l.t.  r.t., Cotting Barber, l.g.  r.g., Merchant Noyes, c.  c., Barney Snelling, Webster, Osborne, r.g.  l.g., Beebe Inches, Atherton, r.t.  l.t., Colt, Beal Emerson, r.e.  l.e., Berry, Rotch Crocker, Clark, q.b.  q.b., Talbot McComber, Furber, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Cutler Nesmith, La Croix, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Mackay Watson, Burrage, f.b.  f.b., Allen