DEATH OF DEAN WRIGHT

Funeral Tomorrow. -- His Career as Scholar, Editor and Teacher.

Professor John Henry Wright, Dean of the Graduate. School of Arts and Sciences, died of heart disease at his home Wednesday afternoon. The funeral services will be held tomorrow in Appleton Chapel at 12 o'clock. The regular morning prayers at Appleton Chapel today will take the form of a memorial service to Dean Wright and Professor Bartlett.

Dean Wright was born at Urumjah, Persia, in 1852. He was graduated from Dartmouth College in 1873, and three years later received from Dartmouth the degree of A. M. From 1876 until 1878 he was a student of classical philology and Sanskrit at Leipzig University, where he was the fellow student and intimate friend of the late Professor Minton Warren. In 1878 he became associate professor of Greek at Dartmouth; and in 1886 professor of classical philology at Johns Hopkins. The following year he became professor of Greek at Harvard, and was later made chairman of the division of ancient languages in the University.

In 1895 he was made Dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, and held that position until his death. Under the guidance of Dean Wright, the Graduate School has attained a position of great importance. His personal interest in the individual students has been one of his most marked qualities. During the last few years his failing health has prevented his continuing his literary career, and he has devoted his entire time to the Graduate School.

One of his most prolonged and difficult labors was his work as editor of "A History of All Nations," published in 24 volumes and contributed to by the most eminent historians in Europe and America. He has also written many articles of importance for classical and archaeological magazines. He was at one time secretary, and later president, of the American Philological Association, his work bringing him into wide acquaintance with the other great philologists of America. For ten years he was editor of the American Journal of Archaeology; he has likewise edited the Classical Quarterly and the Classical Review. Two years ago he gave a series of lectures at the American School of Classical Studies in Athens.

Appreciation by Professor Smyth.

The following appreciation of Dean Wright's work and character was written at the request of the CRIMSON by Professor Herbert Weir Smyth '78:

Harvard mourns the loss of one of her most faithful servants. John Henry Wright, professor of Greek and Dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, passed away at his residence in Cambridge, on Wednesday, November 25.

The steady growth and flourishing condition of the Graduate School are largely due to his unremitting zeal, his steadfast fidelity, and his liberal and sagacious administration. Hundreds of graduate students recall with pleasure the genial address of welcome which he gave at the beginning of each academic year; and many knew, long after they left the University, that he was still their friend. For Professor' Wright had, in a measure rarely granted even to lovable men, the power of awakening affection. No one who met him in the mere casual relations of life could fail to be impressed with his sincerity; while to those who were privileged to know him intimately he endeared himself in countless ways. Of the affectionate regard in which his friends held him I do not trust myself to write. He loved his fellow-men and their love was given him in return. He found the good in all men; if there was evil in those of whom he spoke, it was left unsaid. His large consideration for others was the expression of a nature full of kindliness and goodness.

He spent himself and his powers, without stint and without thought of self, for the welfare of Harvard, which he loved as if he had been one of her own sons; no demand upon his time seemed inopportune; no appeal to his sympathies failed to meet with a quick and generous response. He was a doer of things that make the heart glad, and the number of his kindnesses is known only to the many whom he has helped in word and deed. He felt happy in doing many things, for his loyalty of service had no taint of partiality; nor did he ever complain (as many of us do) that too many things made demand upon his precious time. He accepted any increase of his large responsibility with such cheerfulness that it became a pleasure for others to do anything at his request; and his requests were made with a peculiar graciousness.

One may think of Professor Wright as a scholar distinguished for learning and fine taste; as an editor of books and important philological and archaeological journals; or as a successful administrator and devoted teacher. One may think of all these things: I think of him now as a man "amans, amabilis, amatus.