NEGLECT OF TROPHY ROOM.

In another column is printed a communication in regard to the neglect of the Trophy Room in the Union. If all the facts in the case be true, it is greatly to be regretted that victories of both ordinary and unusual excellence should not be recorded by the simple but valuable expedient of preserving the trophies of the field in a conspicuous place. That the trophies have in all cases been claimed is scarcely to be questioned, but that they should lie about unseen and disregarded mars to no inconsiderable extent the success of winning teams. Traditions can be maintained only with much effort and vigilance; they can easily become mere breaths of the past and mean nothing to those of us who belong to the present generation. Nor are traditions always worthy of further perpetuation. But in matters which concern so deeply the life of the University the past should not be so utterly put away, and the most satisfactory method of retaining its history is to preserve the actual emblems of bygone achievement. Into whosesoever hands the care of the Trophy Room shall fall, we hope to see its functions more adequately fulfilled than heretofore.