TWELVE CENTS OR TEN.

The writer of the communication this morning has brought out the startling situation that the Athletic Association is requiring of each applicant for seats at the Yale game two cents extra postage on the enclosed envelope in which the tickets are sent out the week of the game. Whereas, by all good rules of mathematics and accounting the ordinary two cent postage required for a letter plus the registration fee of eight cents equals ten cents, the Association is charging its patrons twelve cents and stating that unless each envelope contains the required amount of stamps, no tickets will be sent out. In other words, it is overcharging each applicant two cents in postage, and the intimation seems to be more that the Association has put the requirement at twelve cents chiefly because it did not take the trouble to look into the matter than that it clips one stamp off each lot and lays the proceeds up against a rainy Saturday. The explanation is simple: the Athletic Association figures its postage account even as closely as does the writer, and, furthermore, it has found in past years when only ten cents in postage was required that it has been obliged to pay in the neighborhood of $300 to cover the extra postage required on letters that are over weight. All of the writer's assumptions are correct except the statement that two cents will bear the weight of the envelope and its contents. It will be sufficient for some of the letters, but for many it is not, and the Association has safeguarded itself by requiring twelve cents.