PROFESSOR WHITE RESIGNS

Has Been Connected With Greek Department of University Since 1874.

At its meeting last Monday, the Corporation accepted the resignation of John Williams White, professor of Greek, to take effect September 1, 1909.

Professor White graduated with the degree of Bachelor of Arts from Ohio Wesleyan University in 1868 and three years later received the degree of A.M. from the same institution. He studied at Harvard and the University of Berlin from 1871 to 1877, in which year he took the degree of A.M. and Ph.D. at the former. Professor White held the position of tutor in Greek in the University from 1874 to 1877, when he was appointed assistant professor in the same subject. In 1884 he received his appointment as professor of Greek. Professor White occupied the chair of Greek at the American School of Classical Studies at Athens in 1893 and 1894.

The achievements of Professor White received wide recognition. He was awarded the honorary degree of Litt.D. by Cambridge University in 1900, and that of Doctor of Laws by Wesleyan University in 1896 and by Ohio Wesleyan University in 1905. He held the position of chairman of the first managing committee of the American School or Classical Studies at Athens, and is honorary president of the Archaeological Institute of America, fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, and an honorary member of the British Society for the Promotion of Hellenic Studies. Professor White is the author of numerous school and college textbooks and monographs on philological and archaeological subjects.