Interesting Lecture by Major Lynch

Major Charles Lynch '90, of the medical staff of the United States Army, delivered an interesting lecture in the Living Room of the Union last evening on "Personal Experiences in the Russo-Japanese War." The lecture was illustrated with numerous views collected by Major Lynch while with the Japanese army in Manchuria, showing the forces on route and in the field.

When the war broke out, Major Lynch went directly to Port Arthur, which was being besieged. The defenses were of a very elaborate character, but the tide turned in favor of the Japanese with the capture of 203 Meter Hill, which enabled the attacking army to direct their mortar fire over the city and harbor, and led directly to Port Arthur's fall. Although General Stoessel has often been blamed for his conduct at the time of the siege, and has even been court-martialed, the Russian leader really did all in his power to save the city.

Major Lynch was present at the battle of Mukden, and made his most important observations there. The battle is one of the greatest in the history of the world, and was fought from February 6, to March 10, in 1905.