ABOLITION OF SUBSCRIPTIONS.

A careful consideration of the figures in the report of the Graduate Treasurer of athletics has brought us to a final conclusion on two questions long under consideration. The report shows beyond question of doubt that the rule that now attempts to make all minor teams self-supporting is to all intents and purposes a dead letter; and furthermore that the accessibly of dunning the student body for subscriptions has passed, and the troublesome system should be abolished.

Let us consider these proportions in order. The statistics show that only the hockey and tennis teams came through with credit balances. All other minor teams had deficits of varying size that had to be met from the general fund. In other words any advantages that the rule may have possessed have ceased to operate, but its evil effects are as strong as ever. The basketball team has to cater to the public by arranging games in Mechanics Hall, and all the teams have to send their candidates on unfruitful tours through the University in search of support. It is high time for the infeasibility of this system to be openly recognized and for the minor teams to be given the full support they deserve.

The question next arises how any teams are to be supported from the general fund if subscriptions are abolished. As a matter of fact the total amount collected in subscriptions last year was $9,115.94. If this is subtracted from last year's surplus it leaves but $2,524.53, an amount hardly sufficient to pay the amount due on the Stadium, and at the same time to carry out the various necessary improvements, such as reclaiming the rest of Soldiers Field. It must be remembered, however, that last year the surplus was unusually small and that in average years a reserve fund of $15,000 or $18,000 would still remain.

We do not propose, however, to offer no substitute for the $9,000 lost. If a blanket ticket is put on sale for $7 or $8, admitting to all but the most important contests played by Harvard teams, it will sell fully as well as the present H. A. A. ticket. The price will be very low in comparison to the privileges given. Moreover, every man who does not buy will be at a disadvantage in attending the more important games.

In his report the Graduate Treasurer, speaking of the time when no H. A. A. tickets were issued, says, "The track events did not seem to draw when standing on their own feet, the income they did when they were thrown in as a part of the inducement to buy the regular H. A. A. season ticket." The same may be applied to all the sports. They will draw a larger income and be more nearly self-supporting than they are did when they were thrown in as a part of the inducement to buy the regular H. A. a. season ticket." The same may be applied to all the sports. They will draw a larger income and be more nearly self-supporting than they are at present. The total surplus will not be materially reduced. Even if is decreased somewhat,--which we doubt,--it will mean simply that the Stadium debt will have to run a little longer. On the other hand one of the chief commercializing tendencies will be gone, and we will be well rid of the nuisance of the collector, who is trying to prove, by a method unsatisfactory to all, his fitness for an important position.