HOCKEY CHAMPIONSHIP LOST

Yale Defeated University Team, 3 to 2, by Superior Team Work.

The University hockey team was defeated by Yale at the St. Nicholas Rink in New York on Saturday for the first time since 1902. Neither Harvard nor Yale had lost a league game this season, so that this victory gave the championship of the Intercollegiate League to Yale. The score was 3 to 2.

The game was very fast at times, and the result was in doubt until the last minute of play. The goal tenders on both sides made many hard stops, but Yale's superior team work gave them the victory. Pell, Hicks, Newhall, and Willetts played good individual games for Harvard.

Yale got the puck at the start and carried it toward the Harvard goal, but it was soon returned, and Yale was forced to play on the defensive. After about three minutes of play, Pell secured the puck on the side and, carrying it down the ice, scored on a long shot. After a long scrimmage, Rumsey and Hicks, by good team play, worked into Yale's territory and passed the puck to Newhall, but the shot was stopped by Howe. Pell repeatedly carried the puck toward the Yale goal, but the Yale defense was too strong to allow Rumsey to score on the pass. Wiliams, by clever dodging, took the puck up and passed it to Driscoll, who scored, and a little later Heron scored the second goal for Yale from a scrimmage. For the rest of the first half, the puck was repeatedly carried into the Yale territory, but Howe prevented a score by his clever work at goal.

In the second half, the University team made three strong efforts to score, but failed each time. Yale repeatedly carried the puck down the ice, but could not pass the centre before Harvard recovered and rushed it back. Then Pell carried the puck down the left side and passed it quickly to Rumsey, who scored from in front of the goal. Pell later made a hard shot, which was stopped, and then, after a little open play, Heron secured the puck on the side near Harvard's goal. An attempt was made to block his shot, but the puck struck Washburn, who lost his balance, and the final goal was scored. The game at the end was very fast, but Yale held her advantage throughout, and prevented Harvard from scoring.

The summary: HARVARD.  YALE. Pell, l.e.  r.e., Fels Hicks, l.c.  r.c., Driscoll Rumsey, r.c.  l.c., Stanley Newhall, r.e.  l.e., Heron Ford, c.p.  c.p., Williams Willetts, p.  p., Thayer Washburn, g.  g., Howe

Score--Harvard, 2; Yale, 3. Goals--Pell, Rumsey, Heron 2. Driscoll, Referces--W. A. Dobby, C. W. Surrell. Umpires--F. Lang, E. C. Cowdin. Time--20-minute halves.