Sixth Hyde Lecture by M. Tardieu

M. Andre Tardieu delivered the sixth of his Hyde lectures in Sanders Theatre yesterday afternoon on the subject of "Le Bilan des Alliances." The lecturer treated in turn the three great European alliances of the present day.

In speaking of the Franco-Russian alliance, M. Tardieu termed the arrangement both practical and efficient, but dwelt upon the weakening of the support afforded by Russia after the late war in the East, and also on the personal ascendency which the Czar exercised over the Kaiser. Since the conference at Algeciras, the relations between the two countries have been placed on a more satisfactory basis, though the terms of the treaty remain the same.

The understanding between France and England brought an important influence to bear at Algeciras, and was greatly facilitated by the attitude of the British representative; it had a radical effect on the positions of Italy and Spain. The relations between France and England may be termed dynamic rather than static, and they are to a great extent dependent on the policy pursued by France in Morocco. It should be understood, however, that the agreement is a first-class diplomatic instrument rather than an alliance.

In closing, M. Tardieu took up the famous Triple Alliance between Germany, Austria and Italy, and the various views with regard to its present efficacy. He characterized it as affording a mere modus vivendi between Italy and Austria, and as having ceased to serve Germany as an instrument for dominating European affairs.