CLOCK PROJECT ABANDONED

At Senior Meeting.--Dean Sabine's Tribute to Late Dean Shaler

At a meeting of the Senior class last night, the committee recently appointed to secure a John Harvard Clock for University Hall, to commemorate the John Harvard tercentenary celebration last fall, recommended that the class drop the entire project--and the class so voted.

When the plan was first presented to the Corporation last December for its sanction, they instructed the committee to consult Mr. C. F. McKim h. '90, of Messrs. McKim, Mead & White, of New York, as to the advisability of placing a clock on University Hall. Owing to the illness of Mr. McKim it was not possible to secure his opinion until late last month, when he approved the plan. However, after examining the detailed design of the clock, which came last week, the Corporation voted against placing a clock on University Hall for fear that it might deface the building. In view of this action, the committee felt that it was now too late after the John Harvard celebration to begin work again on a new form of a memorial, and they therefore recommended that the plan be dropped.

C. W. Burton, chairman of the committee to procure a portrait of the late Dean Shaler for the Union, then reported on the progress of that work. The portrait will cost between $1,000 and $1,500, and the committee is now selecting the artist. The committee is composed of; C. W. Burton, chairman, M. Allen, E. W. Fay, C. V. Imlay, and M. deS. Verdi.

Dean Sabine's Remarks

Dean Sabine, who probably knew Dean Shaler better than anyone else, spoke of his sterling qualities and lovable disposition. He was the most striking and influential man of the Faculty, and was respected by the President and the Corporation because of his sound financial sense. Besides being very well known to the student body, he was intimate with the graduates through his extensive travels.

In closing, Dean Sabine said that as the Senior class was the last class which knew Dean Shaler intimately, it was most fitting that it should present the memorial, and emphasized the fact that the portrait should be placed in the Union where it could be seen by both the student body and the returning graduates.