LECTURE BY M. TARDIEU

First Hyde Lecture Delivered Yesterday Afternoon In Sanders Theatre.

M. Andre Tardieu gave the first of this year's Hyde lecture on "La France et les Alliances," yesterday afternoon in Sanders Theatre. Professor A. C. Coolidge '87 introduced the speaker, whose subject for the day was "La France et l'Alliance Russe."

M. Tardieu told the story of the Franco-Russian alliance. He divided it into three periods: preparation, deviation, and regeneration. The period of preparation lasted until 1891. It was not easy to bring together France and Russia, between whom there was so much difference. Nevertheless it was finally realized that, as Bismarck had said, a Franco-Russian alliance must result from the very nature of things and that it was a geographical necessity.

With the alliance once completed between the two countries, continued M. Tardieu, they were wrong in laying so much stress on political appearances, on shows of protocols, journeys, festivities, and banquets, in which France, as a democratic country, was at a disadvantage. This disadvantage became evident in political relations, and France allowed Russia to engage in political affairs in Manchuria, a policy injurious to both.

Since then, after the peace of Portsmouth between Russia and Japan, after the crisis in Morocco between France and Germany, Russia has returned to Europe and has closed up its Asiatic affairs. The strengthened relations between England and Russia have as well fortified the Franco-Russian alliance.

M. Tardieu told several anecdotes about the men who have been personally engaged in Franco-Russian politics and with whom he was personally acquainted.

The second lecture of the series will be delivered tomorrow at 4.30 on "La France et PEntente Anglaise." Tickets, free of charge, may be obtained upon application to W. G. Wendell '09, Claverly 2.