Prof. Reisner's Explorations Above Assouan and in Samaria

Professor G. A. Reisner '89 has been chosen to an important post in Egypt. This is the charge of the excavations that are now being carried on above the new Assouan dam. A large tract of country is soon to be inundated by a raise in the level of the dam, and it is the intention of the Egyptian government to have this territory thoroughly explored for archacological remains before it is covered with water. With several trained assistants and a large force of workmen Professor Reisner entered on his work in September last, and in the first month's work his party discovered five ancient cemeteries and opened over 3000 tombs, with many remarkable discoveries of ancient archaeological remains. It is hoped that the labor may be completed in three years.

When the very complimentary invitation to undertake this task came to Professor Reisner he had been on leave of absence for the past two years and was conducting excavations at Gizeh for this University and the Boston Museum of Fine Arts, and was also under appointment as director of the Harvard Exploration of Samaria in Palestine. The delay at Constantinople in allowing a permit to dig at Samaria made it uncertain whether the application would be granted or not. In October last the permit was finally issued, and the actual work will probably begin next spring. The spring and summer are unfavorable for work in upper Egypt, owing to the heat, and it is therefore hoped that Professor Reisner will be able personally to inaugurate the work at Samaria.