C. A. Wilson 1L. Rhodes Scholar

Carroll Atwood Wilson 1L., of Westfield Mass., has been appointed Rhodes scholar from Massachusetts for the term 1908-1911. The committee which made the appointment consisted of President Eliot, chairman, G. H. Martin, Secretary of the State Board of Education, Wm. Orr, Principal of the Springfield High School, A. E. Stearns, President of Phillips Andover Academy, and F. C. Ferry, Dean of Williams College.

There are ninety-six Rhodes scholarships in the United States, which are awarded twice every three years on the basis of literary and scholastic attainments, fondness for sports, manly qualities, and force of character. The scholarship consists of a yearly stipend of $1500, lasting for three years. The examinations were held January 21 and 22; and from a considerable number of candidates who passed the examinations, four were brought up before the committee for appointment.

Wilson prepared for college at the Westfield High School, and entered Williams College in 1903. The college at Oxford which he will enter next October is selected by the English committee.

Of the four Rhodes scholarships which have been awarded from Massachusetts, three have been won by Harvard men. F. H. Fobes '04 was the first man to be selected; R. K. Hack Williams '05, was the second; and last year the scholarship was won by C. H. Haring '00. The prize will not be awarded again until 1910.