THEOLOGICAL AFFILIATION

New Buildings to Be Erected in Cambridge This Fall.

in accordance with the provisions of an arrangement drawn up in the fall of 1906, an alliance has been effected between the Andover Theological Seminary and Harvard University whereby the Theological Seminary will remove to Cambridge next fall and enter into affiliation with the University. This action was taken an a recent meeting of the Board of Oversceers when the proposal for such affiliation was presented to the Board by President Eliot.

The terms of affiliation comprise a mutual agreement between the two institutions to avoid all rivalry, competition, and needless duplication of courses, and to combine the resources of instruction in an economical, harmonious and comprehensive scheme of theological education. It is intended to maintain the organization of the Seminary without change and the Faculty will be appointed as hitherto by the Trustees. The officers and students of both Universities will have the use and enjoyment on equal terms of libraries, museums, and similar privileges, maintained or offered by either institution.

Provision is made in the agreement for the purchase of land in the vicinity of the Harvard Divinity School, adequate to the present needs and probable development of the Seminary, as well as the immediate erection of one building to provide for the library, lecture and social rooms. This building will serve as the starting point in a scheme of buildings suitable for the various uses of the Seminary.

Students in Andover Seminary, under the new arrangement, may obtain the degree of A.M. or Ph.D. from the University on recommendation of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences under the same conditions as are required of students in the Harvard Divinity School, provided such students are registered for one year in Harvard University.

It is understood that the Seminary has available an endowment of upwards of $1,000,000 which can be used in fulfilling the terms of the present agreement.