WELD BOAT CLUB CHANGED

Reorganized at Meeting Yesterday. Class Captains Chosen.

At the meeting held yesterday in the Weld Boat Club, Captain Richardson outlined the plans for the spring rowing and appointed C. L. Despard '08, O. G. Wood '09, and H. Morgan '10, captains of their respective class crews.

The only change from the plans announced before was the possibility of the members of the graduate schools getting out a boat for the class race. The Senior and Sophomore crews will be under the direction of Coach Brown, and the Juniors under Coach Stephenson.

Mr. W. S. Youngman, one of the trustees of the Weld estate then laid before the meeting the following plan of reorganization which was adopted:

I. A captain shall be elected each year, preferably from the Junior class, who shall have charge of the rowing at the Weld Boat Club. It will be his business to see that everything runs smoothly; he shall have the deciding voice in any dispute that may arise and shall have the appointing of the three committees mentioned below.

II. A secretary-treasurer shall be elected. It will be his duty to care for all the correspondence and take charge of any funds that may be in the possession of the club.

III. Three committees, of three men each, shall be appointed by the captain. The Graduate Rowing Committee will represent the interests of the graduate schools. The Eights and Fours Committee will have general care of boats and oars. It will be its duty to see that all boats are kept in condition. The Sculling Committee will look after its branch of rowing.

After the adoption of the above plan, O. G. Wood '09 was elected captain and G. Putnam '10, secretary of the club.

History of Weld Boat Club.

The Weld Boat Club was founded in 1890 by George W. Weld '61, for the promotion of undergraduate rowing. The old club house stood on the site of the new one until the erection of the latter in 1907. The club was a great success from the first and filled a long felt want. This interest showed itself in the development of good crews and scullers, whose excellence is shown by the fact that in one regatta alone the club won seven events. The University crew drew many of its members from the Weld crews, taking five men from one eight and four men and the coxswain from another. Aside from graded crew and interclass racing, the Weld crews have defeated many college crews, Pennsylvania and Columbia among others.

During the past few years, however, interest in the club has dwindled to a serious degree, its membership diminishing from as high as 600 to its present enrollment of less than 250. It is with the hope of reviving the old interest and developing collegiate interest in rowing that the present move is being put on foot.