ADDRESS BY GEN. WOODFORD

Noted Soldier and Politician to Speak on Gov. Hughes in Union at 8.

General Stewart L. Woodford, LL.D., D.C.L., ex-minister to Spain and President of the National Federation of Hughes Clubs, will address the Harvard Hughes Club at 8 o'clock this evening in the Assembly Room of the Union on "Governor Hughes and the Political Situation."

For many years Gen. Woodford has been prominent in the political and military affairs of the country. In 1857 he was messenger of the New York electoral college which conveyed to Washington the vote for Abraham Lincoln as president. In the Civil War he became brevet-brigadier-general of volunteers and was first military governor of Charleston, S. C. After the war, Gen. Woodford resumed the practice of law, and in 1867 was elected lieutenant-governor of New York He was president of the electoral college that voted for U. S. Grant as president. In 1873 he was a member of Congress from New York, and was a member of the commission that framed the charter of greater New York in 1896. During 1897-1898, he was United States Minister to Spain.

After the address an opportunity will be given for members of the University to join the Hughes Club and obtain shingles.