SPANISH WAR MEMORIAL.

On Monday, October 10, 1898, the CRIMSON published the following editorial:

"As it was in '61, so in the early spring of '98, in fewer numbers perhaps, because the need was less, but with just such a strong spirit as before, the men of Harvard University enlisted in the forming regiments for the front. Some went as commissioned officers, some as privates; some were in the infantry, others in the cavalry, others wore sewed to the sleeve of their shirts the red cross of the hospital corps; everywhere throughout the vast extent of armies, in Cuba, in Porto Rico, or left behind to sweat and toil in weariness, men we had known and men we had heard of, men placed in command of companies, or in the third relief of the guard, were doing what ought to be done.

"One man, a Senior, who enlisted as a private in the very beginning, was given a commission before there had been any fighting, and when the fighting began he was promoted. By a brave regiment he was called a brave man.

"There are no more battles now. The men are returning, and we see them about the college as before; but of course, not all who went in the spring; for the work that these men had set out to do would not permit of that. And to those that we shall not see here, either this year or the next, who fought as their teaching had told them, and did it well, to them full honor is owing, and to them is given in sadness the great love of this University of Harvard. Hollister, Furness, Sanders, Crapo, Adsit, Lahman, Henshaw, they are the men who have gone. They died in service, and, when they were buried, United States troops stood at attention."

These words, beautiful in themselves, but long since forgotten, are the only memorial to our Harvard heroes. A year ago the CRIMSON suggested that their names be inscribed in the Union, and the current number of the Advocate takes up the matter anew. Memorial Hall, as its name implies, does honor to the heroes of the Rebellion. Shall there not even be some little tablet to remind us that in the lesser cause Harvard's sons were at the front?