Fourth Lecture by Professor Bury

Professor J. B. Bury, Regius Professor of Modern History at the University of Cambridge, delivered a scholarly lecture last night on "The Developments of Greek Historiography after Thucydides." This was the fourth in his course of six lectures on "The Ancient Greek Historians," given under the auspices of the Department of the Classics through a gift of Mr. Gardiner M. Lane '81.

Professor Bury dealt first with the historians Xenophon, Philistus and Cratippus. The works of Cratippus were unearthed in Egypt only a few months ago, and are the most important addition in years to our collection of Greek writings. Of these three men, Xenophon is probably the least important. The lecturer considered these in detail along with the other historians who came immediately after Thucydides, and carefully traced the influence of rhetoric and philosophy of the subsequent development of history. He then discussed the historical school and distinguished the conventional from the realistic school. In closing he spoke at some length of Aristotle's work on constitutional history.