April "Illustrated" Reviewed

By W. B. Munro.

It is said that DuMaurier made a point of allowing "Punch" but one good thing per issue so that the editors might set a standard which their successors could without difficulty maintain. This editorial philosophy has not, it would appear, commended itself to the staff of the Illustrated, for the April number of this publication contains several highly interesting and even noteworthy contributions. Professor Edwin F. Gay, Dean of the Graduate School of Business Administration, sets forth tersely but very comprehensively the purpose, policy, and anticipated achievements of this new and notable addition to the University's agencies of public service. Dr. D. A. Sargent discusses in an interesting and profitable manner the evolution of modern methods in testing physical strength for purposes of scientific comparison; Mr. Theodore Nance, a Boston newspaper man, contributes some very pointed and effective advice to college men who aspire to become journalists; and there are several other features quite as deserving of favorable notice.

The theme of the editorial is of course sae athletic situation; indeed it would almost appear that this none too inspiring topic has found in our midst a congenial place of permanent abode. But the tenor of this editorial is sane and indicious; the writer is sage enough to have observed that in this world they who seek equity must do equity; more apt to be effected through the channels of compromise than through a rigid insistence by one side upon the letter of its claims. Few things are more easy than to persuade men of the absolute justice of their own cause, and to lead them to the folly of imagining that arguments unanswered are unanswerable.