PROSPECT FOR YALE MEET

University Track Team Compared With Opponents in Various Events.

With only two weeks left before the first dual meet of the season, that with Dartmouth on May 9, the track season may be considered well advanced. It is reasonable to assume that Dartmouth can be defeated by a comfortable margin, although as last year there are likely to be some unlooked for results in several events.

In regard to the Yale meet, however, the outlook is different. Yale's strength is not so easily estimated as Harvard's as Yale is relying more on new men, of whose abilities there has an yet been no sufficient indication. Not till after the meet between Yale and Princeton can any fair forecast be made. Harvard has available for this year's team men who won 39 points against Yale last year, while Yale has back winner of only 26 1-2 points. On the other hand Yale has had the more successful indoor season this year. The 1910 men available for both teams are very evenly matched and can be allowed to balance each other. The result of the meet seems to hang largely on the improvement shown by the second string men of last year's teams. As far as can be judged at present the following would appear to be a reasonable estimate of the resources of the two teams.

Captain L. P. Dodge '08 of the University team is looked upon to win the 220-yard dash, but second and third places are promising for Yale with such good men as R. B. Burch '09, L. B. Stevens '08 and R. La Montagne S.'09, all of whom won points in either the University or Freshman dual meets last year. The 100-yard dash lies between P. C. Lockwood '08, Captain L. P. Dodge '08 of Harvard, and G. M. Butler '09 of Yale. F. S. Blanchard '10 and T. S. Blumer '10 appear to be Harvard's best second string men, while for Yale R. B. Burch '09, L. B. Stevens '08 and R. La Montagne S.'09, are all good sprinters. The quarter-mile run looks bright for Harvard with E. K. Merrihew '10, F. M. deSelding '10, and H. E. Keays '10. Yale has lost W. T. Coholan '07, who won the event last year.

W. M. Rand '09 won both hurdles last year and should do the same this year provided no mishap occurs. A. B. Mason '08, who took second in the low hurdles last year, and G. P. Gardner '10, who was second to Rand in that event in the class games this spring, together with A. L. Besse '10, and M. B. Giddings '08 in the high hurdles, constitute a fast squad. Yale has formidable competitors, however, in L. V. Howe '08, C. M. dePuy '08 and D. R. Robbins '10.

In the high jump the University has four men who have all done 5 feet, 10 inches or better; they are R. G. Harwood '09, R. P. Pope '10; G. E. Roosevelt '09, and R. E. Somers '08, who should get all the places. Yale has no one who has done over 5 feet, 7 inches. The shot-put will be a good match between B. T. Stephenson, Jr., '08 and G. L. Buhrman '08 of Yale. Stephenson won over Buhrman last year by 2 inches. L. W. Bangs '08, C. C. Little '10 and F. H. Burr '09 have shown up well lately and add to the strength of the team in this event. A. M. Sheldon '08 of Yale has improved greatly and is a man to be feared.

The broad jump is a doubtful event, the chances slightly favoring Yale with C. H. Davis '09, who took second place last year. Harvard has B. T. Stephenson, Jr., '08, C. C. Little '10, O. F. Rogers, Jr., '08, and E. H. Ruch'10 to rely on.

The pole-vault will undoubtedly go to Captain W. Dray '08 of Yale, holder of the world's record. Second and third places also look promising for Yale with A. C. Gilbert '08, Campbell '09, and E. Reynolds S.'09, all capable of 11 feet, 6 inches or more. Harvard's best men in this event are S. C. Lawrence '10, E. L. Parker '10, and J. L. Barr '10, but none of them have gone as high as several of the Yale men. Lawrence showed up well in the indoor carnival, doing 11 feet, 1-2 inch, on the slippery Gymnasium floor, and may get into the point-winning class. Yale will also get all three places in the hammer-throw unless some one on the University squad improves remarkably. C. T. Cooney '10 or W. A. Goebel '10 are the most likely candidates for the first two places, with B. M. Connor '10 a probable third. Harvard's only hope for a third place lies in J. C. Jones '09, E. H. Ruch '10 or W. Peirce '08.

The half-mile run is doubtful, with both S. Frissell '08 and M. D. Kirjassoff '10 for Yale and H. Watson '10, M. B. Van Brunt '08, W. F. Whitcher '09 and R. Warren '10 for Harvard. With both Spitzer and Williams back the mile-run looks bright for Yale. H. F. Hadden, Jr., '09, who won the event for the University last year, will be unable to run this year. Harvard's most promising men are H. F. Miller '08 and J. R. Coolidge '10, who are both doing good work at present. In the two-mile run Yale has M. Lightner '09, and M. B. Vilas '09, while Harvard has M. S. Crosby '08, who won the event last year, R. E. Dole '10, and M. H. Whitney '09. Vilas is a good cross-country runner and a hard man to beat in the two-mile. Crosby is about the same as last year, while Dole and Whitney have improved a great deal so that the University has about an even chance of winning the event.