THE BASEBALL OUTLOOK

is snappy and fast, qualities which have so often contributed to make victorious teams at Princeton. The head coach this year is Meter, an old Princeton player, who has had experience in professional baseball.

At present Fish is playing creditably at first base, and it seems probable that he will hold his position. Warwick, Ballin, and Harlan are occupying the outfield. Dillon at second, Vaughan at short, and Sides at third, make up practically a veteran infield.

Princeton has been defeated only twice thus far; by Bowdoin in five innings, 5 to 2, on a very cold day, and by the Jersey City professional team, 4 to 1. The team has won from New York University, 6 to 3; Ursinus, 5 to 3; Dickinson, 7 to 0; Holy Cross, 10 to 1; Virginia, 1 to 0; Georgetown, 10 to 3; and Lafayette, 8 to 7.

Cornell Weak on Battery Material.

One of the hardest problems that faces Coach Coogan at Cornell this year is to find battery strength to re-enforce the weaknesses incurred by the loss of the two excellent batteries, Deshon and Hastings, and Lovejoy and Graves. Caldwell, a football player, who was ineligible last year, gives promise of developing into a good pitcher, and may settle the difficulty. Brown, third baseman, and Bigelow, left fielder, were lost by graduation. Players again eligible are Captain Heilman, short stop; Watson, first base; Gable, pitcher; Ebeling, right field; Reiber, second base; and Higgins and Fulton, outfielders.

With this material the outlook is anything but poor, provided the pitchers can be developed. Furthermore, the 1907 freshman squad contains some valuable men who may be drawn from. Among these are Goodwillie, pitcher; Crosby, first base; Matchner, second base; Jones, third base; Willimas and Lally, catchers; and Tompkins, White, and Judson, outfielders. Whinery and Hochke are the leading candidates for catcher.

Cornell has not had a particularly successful season thus far. Defeated by Annapolis, the team won and tied a game with Trinity, North Carolina; was again beaten, by Carolina, 5 to 2, won and lost to Virginia, 4 to 2, was beaten by Georgetown, 4 to 3, but won from Colgate and the University of New York.

Last year Harvard lost the first game to Cornell in ten innings, 1 to 0. and won the last game in the same number of innings and with the same score reversed.