BATES GAME A SHUT-OUT

Harvard Won, 4 to 0.--Amusing Incidents.--Game with Exeter Today.

In a rather amusing game from a spectator's point of view, but void of excitement, the University baseball team shut out Bates yesterday 4 to 0. Lanigan throughout the game was invincible, and only one man reached second, which was the result of an error. Three scattered hits were all that Bates could boast of at the bat, and two of those were absolutely useless, as Lanigan caught both men off first by quick throws to Briggs.

The University team was unusually steady in the field, and Harvey's wild throw came when two were out. Otherwise he made some clever stops, and kept up his good batting by making a two-base hit and a safe bunt. McCall at second played in last year's form, and accepted six chances without an error. His clever stop back of second and quick throw to Simons which ended the game was a brilliant piece of work. Briggs was steady on first base and had fourteen put-outs to his credit. The batting of the team as a whole was not as strong as might have been expected.

Harvard began the game with a rush. McCall hit to the flag in left field, and easily reached second, although he was almost caught off the base. Briggs followed with a good sacrifice hit, and Harvey who was running for McCall moved to third. Lanigan's safe drive to left brought Harvey across the plate. An error by short stop on Simons' grounder put Lanigan on third, but Simons was caught stealing second. Harvey met the occasion by hitting to right for two bases, scoring Lanigan, but getting out himself on trying to stretch the hit to three bases.

Another run came in the fourth as a result of an error by the third baseman, and a clean hit by Currier. The last score was made in the sixth inning when Simons reached first on a single, advanced to third on Harvey's beautiful bunt, which was curiously fielded, and came home on Dana's sacrifice hit to centre field.

The summary: HARVARD.   a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e. McCall, 2b.  4  0  1  1  5  0 Briggs, 1b.  2  0  1  4  0  0 Lanigan, p.  4  1  1  0  4  0 Simons, s.s.  4  2  1  1  2  0 Harvey, 3b.  4  1  2  1  4  1 Dana, l.f.  2  0  0  3  0  0 Currier, c.  3  0  1  5  0  0 Pounds, r.f.  3  0  0  0  0  0 Keefe, c.f.  3  0  0  2  0  0 Totals,  29  4  7  27  15  1 BATES.   a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e. Keany, s.s.  3  0  0  2  5  1 Wilder, 2b.  4  0  1  2  3  0 Boothby, r.f.  4  0  0  1  0  0 Bridges, c.f.  3  0  0  1  1  0 Stone, c.  3  0  1  4  4  0 Jordan, 3b.  3  0  1  2  3  4 Hooper, l.f.  3  0  0  1  0  0 Burnell, 1b.  3  0  0  10  0  0 Phinney, p.  2  0  0  1  1  1 **Harriman,  1  0  0  0  0  0 Totals,  29  0  3  24  17  6

Innings,  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9Harvard,  2  0  0  1  0  1  0  0  x--