YALE AND PRINCETON AGREE.

In the current number of the Yale Alumni Weekly, Dr. F. J. Born, medical examiner of the Yale gymnasium, states that "competitive games and sports should be indulged in by more of the normal, healthy students than now participate in them, because they result be an increase in the sertngth and degree of function of the heart and lungs." It is just this point that the CRIMSON has tried continually to emphasize this year, by urging a general participation in scrub contests, which are becoming more numerous and more popular every year. A move in the right direction was made by the Athletic Committee yesterday, when it was decided to make an effort to supply diamonds for the resumption of Leiter cup baseball.

Nor is Harvard alone in the movement. All the colleges are beginning to realize that, much as we need intercollegiate athletics, we need something more, in order to put athletics in general on a proper footing. Dr. Born, speaking for Yale, points out that the intercollegiate athlete is physically away ahead of the average student (a strong argument in itself for intercollegiate athletics), and that by more general participation the physical vigor of the whole student body will be increased. The Daily Princetonian, voicing the Princeton undergraduate sentiment, says: "We do not believe intercollegiate contests to be harmful, but rather a most beneficial and necessary factor of college life. They are essential to the welfare of a college community. But they have one serious defect in that they are not far reaching enough. . . . Our suggestion is that all the intracollege athletic contests and series be put on a firmer, more businesslike basis."

With Harvard, Yale and Princeton all working toward this end, and with Harvard already strong on the intracollegiate side, there is little cause for worry. When sentiment is general, results are inevitable.