1911 Crew to Go to Philadelphia

The Freshmen won the match race with the Sophomores yesterday afternoon to determine which crew should be sent to the Henley Regatta Saturday. As the length of the course was not accurately measured, no time was taken. The crews got away evenly at the start, but about two hundred yards down the course number five in the Freshman boat caught a crab. This gave the Sophomores a slight advantage, but they did not hold it long. A half-mile from the start the Freshmen began to draw away, and just before Harvard Bridge they led by about a length. At this point the Sophomores were forced out of their course by a mass of floating debris, and by the time they were straightened out on the other side of the bridge the Freshmen had gained a lead of nearly two lengths of open water. The Sophomores then raised the stroke to 38, and with a magnificent spurt closed in rapidly on the Freshmen. The remaining distance was too short, however, and the Freshmen crossed the line half a length of open water ahead of the Sophomores.

The Freshmen rowed a very heady race, although the boat did not go as smoothly as it has in practice. They were certain of the distance, and at the finish were well rowed out. The Sophomores were not in as good form as they were early in the week. They were not as well together as usual, and after the first half-mile they clipped the stroke badly. The two crews may be well compared by the strokes they rowed. The Freshmen maintained a rate of 34 all over the course, while the Sophomores were rowing 36 and 38.

The Freshmen will leave for Philadelphia tonight, and Saturday they will row in the New England Challenge Cup race for junior eight-oared shells. Among the other entrants for this race is the Yale second crew, which won the cup last year.

The orders:

1911--Stroke, Cutler; 7, Hooper; 6, Eaton; 5, Withington; 4, Waite; 3, Whitney; 2, Forster; bow, Shillito; cox., Fales.

1910--Stroke, Martin; 7. Wyman; 6, Buxton; 5, Macleod; 4, Hill; 3, Hadden; 2, Loring; bow, Maxwell; cox., Adams.