ARBITRATION.

Everyone who heard Professor Lowell's speech at the CRIMSON dinner Friday night was impressed by but one thing--that in reality the Faculty and undergraduates are not strictly in conflict of views; that their aims are similar and their methods opposed. The time has come when it is no longer of any use to stand off and shout our own views, while the Faculty springs a periodic surprise in the form of a blow at intercollegiate athletics. This unfortunate controversy, that is doing Harvard so much harm throughout the country, must be stopped now! There is but one way in which this can be done and Professor Lowell has named the text: "The Faculty, the undergraduates, and those recently graduated must find a common ground, which will be the right one."

Three bodies of men are now called upon to state their beliefs and do their best to reach a satisfactory agreement. The undergraduates are already organized; they have come together and, in as quiet and dignified a manner as they were able, to have agreed in a large majority upon a common view and a common aim. They have offered their own remedy, and are about to send it to the Faculty, in the hope that that body will be satisfied in substituting it for its own.

It is with the utmost regret that we learn from some sources that the petition may not be received in the amicable and conciliatory spirit intended. From others we learn with pleasure that the Faculty is more than ready to meet us halfway. And so we are hoping for the best.

The graduates, on the other hand, are even better united than the students. They are convening this week in Philadelphia, whence we trust may come some statement that will throw light on our tangled problem.

The Faculty, the third party to the controversy, is far from unanimous in the stand it has taken. And yet, as far apart as the two poles stand the Faculty and undergraduates. When they chance to compare views in person, as at the CRIMSON dinner, both sides are convinced of the possibility of a satisfactory solution. Why, them, cannot a solution be reached? We are more than ready to do our share; we want only to be met halfway, and in the same friendly spirit that is now characteristic of at least the undergraduates' side of the argument.