RESULTS OF THE PETITION.

The undergraduates have good cause to feel flattered and encouraged by the reception accorded their petition at the Faculty meeting yesterday. Not only has a ready acceptance of the co-operation of the student body been received, but, we take it, the Faculty is willing to abide by the decision of the Athletic Committee.

Nothing could be more satisfactory. We all have implicit faith in the willingness and ability of the Committee to deal properly with the situation, and we do not doubt but that it will be as ready to receive the assurances of the undergraduates as was the Faculty. It realizes best the actual state of affairs; it is in sympathy with any moves to improve scholarship; it knows just how the greatest good for the greatest number may be attained.

If, by rejecting the pending vote, the Athletic Committee decides that there are more imminent questions than that of curtailment to be dealt with, then a very great obligation devolves upon each man whose name appeared upon the petition. He has pledged himself to remember that athletics are not his chief aim in life; and to attend strictly to the duties prescribed by the College authorities. We must hear no more complaints about empty class-rooms on the days of big games, and there must be no more cause for the well-founded objections to "vacations of recuperation." The maintenance of athletics is, we trust, by the wording of the petition, about to pass into the students' hands. If they want their games, they must stick to their promise and prove it.