HARVARD WON EXCITING GAME

University Team Defeated Holy Cross on Saturday by Close Score of 4-3.

The University baseball team won its last game before the Yale series by defeating Holy Cross, on Saturday, in an exciting contest, 4 to 3. After the first inning, in which both teams scored once, the University team gained the lead in the third, but Holy Cross tied the score in the fourth, on Carney's home-run. Harvard again took the lead with a run in its half of the fourth, and Holy Cross brought in another in the fifth. Holy Cross made their last run in the next inning.

Hicks and Mansfield both pitched good ball, the former allowing six hits and the latter four. Hicks had the most strikeouts to his credit, but generally did not control the batters as well as Mansfield. He had a tendency to give them a number of balls at the outset and then be forced to put straight ones over which they could hit. Except in the sixth inning, when two two-baggers came in succession, the hits were well scattered.

Had it not been for seven errors by Holy Cross, the University team would have had difficulty in winning, for none of the four runs were earned, and two of Holy Cross's were. Some good chances were lost by poor base-running and by hits not coming with men on the bases. But, on the other hand, there were many bright spots in the work of the team, such as Leonard's base-running, and the fielding. Currier caught two men at second at critical times by swift, accurate throws, and played well behind the bat. Simons covered a large area at short stop, and made a remarkable one-hand stop of Shay's grounder, but his throw to first was a little low. His jumping catch of Mansfield's liner in the ninth stopped further trouble. Harding covered first in good style, and Hicks and McCall both fielded their positions creditably. In the outfield, Lanigan caught two long flics by fast work. For Holy Cross, the throwing of Barry was brilliant, although he made a wild one which cost a run.

In the first inning. Shay, the first man up, was hit, reached second on Cashen's sacrifice, and third on Larkin's out, Hicks to Harding. Barry then singled sharply to left, scoring the run, but Mansfield was out, Leonard to Harding. Harvard then proceeded to tie the score by Leonard's brilliant work. After waiting for a base on balls, he ran down to second, starting just as the catcher was throwing the ball to the pitcher. Mansfield's throw to second was too late, as Leonard made a neat slide. McCall then bunted, putting Leonard on third, but getting out himself. Harvey hit a short fly to right field, and Leonard ran home as soon as it was caught, and was safe, as the throw was a little wide.

Leonard began the third inning by hitting a slow grounder to Barry. The latter came in fast and made a very swift low throw which bounded into the grandstand. Leonard almost had the ball beaten at first and came home on the play. Holy Cross tied the score in the fourth when, with two out, Carney hit over Aronson's head for a home run. Aronson misjudged the ball, and instead of running back, came in and jumped for it, but missed it by three feet.

In the last of the fourth the Holy Cross infield went up in the air. Aronson's grounder was fumbled by Carney, and as Mansfield got in the base-line, Aronson collided with him so that he dropped the ball. Larkin threw Lanigan's bunt wild, and when Currier bunted. Larkin's throw went past Carney, and Aronson scored, while the other two reached second and third. With nobody out Simons went out on a grounder to second. Harding bunted to pitcher, and Lanigan was out at the plate. Harding stole second, and Currier was almost out between third and home, but reached third safely again when he might have scored. Hicks flied out.

In the fifth, Leonard singled and stole second. McCall was out for bunting on the third strike. Leonard tried to make third on Mansfield's throw to second, and was safe, as O'Rourke dropped Cashen's throw. Harvey flied out but Aronson singled to centre, scoring Leonard. Holy Cross made a run in the sixth, on doubles by Mansfield and Carney, with two out. After that the opponents were not dangerous.

Harvard's chances were wasted in the sixth, when Lanigan was caught off first, and Currier, after singling, neglected to slide to second, and was out. In the seventh, Hicks doubled, but was caught on Leonard's grounder to short.

The summary:

HARVARD.  a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e.Leonard, 3b.  3  3  1  0  1  1McCall, 2b.  3  0  0  2  4  0Harvey, c.f.  3  0  0  2  0  0Aronson, r.f.  4  1  1  1  0  0Lanigan, l.f.  4  0  0  2  0  0Currier, c.  3  0  1  6  2  0Simons, s.s.  3  0  0  3  2  0Harding, 1b.  3  0  0  11  0  0Hicks, p.  3  0  1  0  5  0  --  --  --  --  --  --Totals,  29  4  4  27  14  1HOLY CROSS.  a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e.Shay, l.f.  3  1  1  2  0  0Cashen, 2b.  3  0  0  3  1  0Larkin, c.  4  0  1  4  2  1Barry, s.s.  4  0  1  2  3  1Mansfield, p.  4  1  1  0  5  0Carney, 1b.  4  1  2  8  0  3Dowd, r.f.  3  0  0  3  0  0Stevens, c.f.  3  0  0  0  0  1O'Rourke, 3b.  3  0  0  1  2  1  --  --  --  --  --  --Totals,  31  3  6  *23  13