ACADEMIC CHANGES 1907-8

Several Very Important Improvements.--Business School Founded.

The changes made during the past year by the Faculty of Arts and Sciences have been of greater importance than any made in the last few years. The Graduate School of Applied Science, which was established in March, 1906, was started, and the Lawrence Scientific School was closed to the further admission of students. Hereafter a student coming to Harvard University for work in applied science either will come equipped with a bachelor's degree and enter the Graduate School directly, or enter Harvard College and on graduation be qualified to enter the Graduate School.

The establishment of the Graduate School of Business Administration, "the ordinary requirement for admission to which shall be the possession of a bachelor's degree, and for graduation a course of study covering two years," has practically completed the organization of professional education in the University, since, like the other professional schools, the new school is to rest as a graduate department on the basis of a broad and liberal education. The two years of study, based upon the preliminary college course, with a few requirements in economics and modern languages, will comprise a series of new courses in general subjects, commercial law, economic geography, commercial organization, principles of accounting and the like, followed by the more specialized courses leading directly to the business for which the student is fitting. A large annual income has been secured to assure to the school the resources necessary for providing for the new instructors to whom will be intrusted the task of developing a wide range of advanced courses.

The reorganization of Bussey Institution as a graduate foundation for advanced experimental work and research rounds out the general organization of the University, with the College at the centre leading to the professional graduate schools. The work of the Institution will be much farther advanced than in former years, and will take up the subjects which are of the greatest importance in agricultural biology. Professor William N. Wheeler of New York, one of the leading entomologists of the country, will be at the head of the new graduate school.

An alliance has been effected between the Andover Theological Seminary and Harvard University whereby the Theological Seminary will remove to Cambridge next fall and enter into affiliation with the University. The terms of affiliation comprise a mutual agreement between the two institutions to avoid all rivalry, competition, and needless application of courses and to combine the resources of instruction in an economical, harmonious and comprehensive scheme of theological education. Provision is made in the agreement for the purchase of land in the vicinity of the Harvard Divinity School, adequate to the present needs and probable development of the Seminary, as well as the immediate erection of one building to provide for the library, lecture and social rooms. This building will serve as the starting point in a scheme of buildings suitable for the various uses of the Seminary.