BROWN SHUT OUT

Baseball Team Won 4 to 0.--Slight Improvement in Timely Hitting.

The University baseball team got together admirably yesterday afternoon and shut out Brown, '4 to 0. The determination that wins was in evidence throughout the game, and an excellent beginning was made in the first three innings, when all the runs were scored. The ability to hit when hits meant runs was perhaps the most encouraging feature of the game, while the sacrifice hitting was far better than has been exhibited this season. McCall secured no less than three clever bunts and Currier two. The base-running was also about all that could be desired. Although only six hits were made, the team as a whole batted hard. Four errors were made by the University team, against Brown's two but they were not costly, as both or Brown's were.

McCall played a steady game at second after his lay-off, accepting seven chances without a misplay. Harding livened the team up on first considerably, and, though he let a grounder get through him in the first inning, he made some clever pick-ups of low throws, and by a splendid one-hand catch in the ninth prevented Simons's high throw from being an error. At the bat he showed good form, securing a timely single, and a neat sacrifice. Leonard played a finished game on third, getting everything within reach, and in the eighth started a fast double play to McCall who threw to Harding and spoiled Brown's chances. Simons was unsteady in the field, but retrieved himself at the bat with two singles.

Hicks again pitched a splendid game, holding Brown to four hits and striking out seven men. The Brown batters were unable to gauge his speed and curves when hits were necessary. He was well supported by Currier, who made a fine running catch of a foul in the fourth with two out.

Only one Brown man reached third during the entire game, and that was in the first inning, when Hicks pulled himself out of a rather bad hole. With one out Dennie was safe on second when Harding missed his grounder. Hicks attempted to catch him at second, but Simons barely touched the ball as it went to centre field. Harvey by a good line throw nailed the runner at third. The next two men hit safely and Budlong filled the bases by reaching first on balls. Hennessy, however, hit to Hicks and the side went out. From this point Brown was not dangerous.

Harvard made a run in the first and second innings, and two in the third. Leonard reached first on an error, and third on McCall's sacrifice, scoring on Aronson's timely hit to right after Harvey struck out. In the second Lanigan was hit, was sacrificed to second by Currier, reached third on Simons's grounder to first, and scored on Harding's clean single. Leonard began the third with a hit to short which he just beat out. McCall was ready with his second sacrifice, and Harvey's out put Leonard on third. Aronson then received a pass and stole second, both men scoring as Lanigan hit a short fly to left, which dropped just at the left-fielder's feet. Leonard reached third in the seventh with two out, but was left on base.

The summary: HARVARD.   a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e. Leonard. 3b.  4  2  1  1  4  0 McCall, 2b.  1  0  0  3  4  0 Harvey, c.f.  4  0  0  1  1  1 Aronson, r.f.  3  1  1  1  0  0 Lanigan, l.f.  2  1  1  1  0  0 Currier, c.  2  0  0  9  0  0 Simons, s.s.  4  0  2  1  1  2 Harding, 1b.  3  0  1  10  0  1 Hicks, P.  2  0  0  0  4  0 Totals,  25  4  6  27  14  4 BROWN.   a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e. McGurty, r.f.  3  0  0  0  0  0 Dennie, c.f.  4  0  1  2  0  0 Raymond, c.  4  0  1  5  3  0 Regnier, s.s.  4  0  1  0  1  1 Young, S.S.  0  0  0  0  0  0 Budlong, 2b.  2  0  0  3  1  0 Hennessy, 3b.  4  0  0  1  2  1 Swaffield, l.f.  3  0  0  2  0  0 Minnerly, 1b.  4  0  0  11  0  0 Nourse, p.  4  0  1  0  5  0 *Buss.  1  0  0  0  0  0 Totals,  33  0  4  24  12  2

Innings,  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 Harvard,  1  1  2  0  0  0  0  0  x--4

Earned run--Harvard. Left on bases--Harvard 6, Brown 8. Sacrifice hits--McCall 3, Currier 2, Harding. Stolen base--Aronson. Double play--Leonard to McCall to Harding. Bases on balls--Off Hicks 3; off Nourse 3. Struck out--By Nourse: Harvey 2, Hicks 2; by Hicks: Hennessy, Swaffield, Buss, Minnerly. Nourse 3. Hit by pitched ball--Lanigan. Umpire--Connelly. Time--2h.

*Buss batted for Swaffield in ninth.

The Yale university baseball team was defeated by Holy Cross in the ninth inning yesterday afternoon by the score of 1 to 0.

*Buss batted for Swaffield in ninth.

*Buss batted for Swaffield in ninth.