FIRST FOOTBALL GAME TODAY

Harvard Plays Bowdoin in Stadium at 4.--Stiff Practice Yesterday.

The University eleven will play its first game of the season with Bowdoin in the Stadium this afternoon at 4 o'clock. Last year Bowdoin was defeated by a score of 5 to 0 and held its own fairly well against the greater weight of the University team. Just what the strength of the Harvard team will be in today's game is hard to predict. There have only been a few scrimmages so far but they have shown that the men have lots of life and are showing the effects of a thorough systematic preliminary training. Several of the men are playing new positions this year and their work is very crude. Bowdoin has shown promise in its preliminary work and defeated Fort McKinley recently, 28 to 0.

The line-up of the teams will be: HARVARD.  BOWDOIN. Harding, l.e.  r.e., Hinch McKay, l.t.  r.t., Crosby Burr, l.g.  r.g., Burns Nourse, c.  c., McDade Hoar, r.g.  l.g., Hinckley Forcheimer, r.t.  l.t., Newman Crowley, r.e.  l.e., Wandtke Browne, q.b.  q.b., Wilson Smith, l.h.b.  r.h.b., King Corbett, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Smith Vogel, f.b.  f.b., Gastonquay

The officials for the game today will be: Referee--J. B. Pendleton, Bowdoin. Umpire--E. K. Hall, Dartmouth. Field Judge--H. L. Dodmun, Worcester.

Good Practice Yesterday.

The practice yesterday consisted of a stiff 25-minute scrimmage between the first and second elevens. The first made two touchdowns by good hard football. The only forward pass tried by the first eleven gained 20 yards and was well executed by Browne and Crowley. Burr started the scrimmage, kicking off to Sprague, back of the goal line. Browne kicked to Burrage, Page trying the line for no gain and losing the ball on a fumble. McKay punted to the second's 35-yard line. The first team regained the ball and by small gains reached the second's one yard line where they were held. The first was given another down and Vogel went through right guard for a touchdown. McKay kicked the goal.

McKay then kicked off to Page who returned it to Browne in the middle of the field. Corbett went around the second's left end for 15 yards, and on the next play, a forward pass, Crowley made 20 yards before he was downed by Crysler on the 15-yard line. Smith went through right guard for 5 yards, and on a recovered fumble Crowley made the second touchdown of the game. The teams lined up as follows: FIRST ELEVEN.  SECOND ELEVEN. Blanchard, l.e.  r.e., Rogers McKay, l.t.  r.t., Bush Philippbar, l.g.  r.g., McGuire Nourse, c.  c., Perkins Hoar, r.g.  l.g., Fisher Forcheimer, Ver Wiebe, r.t.  l.t., Oveson Crowley, r.e.  l.e., Rodgers Browne, q.b.  q.b., Cate Sprague, Corbett, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Page Smith, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Grosvenor, Crysler Vogel, f.b.  f.b., Burrage, Minot

Good Practice Yesterday.